Mackenzie and I had the opportunity to visit Washington DC this past weekend and we stayed with Chris Robinson who is currently stationed there. We flew in on Friday, October 17. This just happened to be his and Nancy's wedding anniversary and unfortunately since she is still in Alabama he had to have dinner with us instead of his great wife. He spent the next two days showing us around Washington DC. While we were there we talked about how fun it would be to take all the brothers (and I had to add my dad to the mix) to Washington DC and listen to their stories.
He said something to Mackenzie that was interesting to me. He said, you know Mackenzie when your Grandpa was in the Army, he and your Grandma lived here in Washington and my mom and dad came to visit them. Your Grandma and Grandpa showed them all around Washington just like I'm showing you and your mom so when you go home tell your Grandma we are "Even-steven". We had a great weekend and I am pretty sure we laughed a lot more on our trip than his mom and dad did on their trip. I looked through my mom and dad's photo album to find a picture of Floyd and Etsel in Washington DC with my mom and dad but this was the closest I could come.

The Jefferson Memorial with a view of the Tidal Basin in 1955.
The Jefferson Memorial and Tidal Basin in 2008.

This is the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial in 1955.
The World War II Memorial has been added since 1955.
When I found these pictures it was amazing to me to realize that we had just walked on the same ground our parents had walked on 53 years earlier.
It was a fun weekend and most of the museums and monuments are free so it isn't very expensive. Mackenzie and I encourage anyone to take a trip and make sure you visit Chris. He is a very good guide, especially if you want to tour the food prep area in the Ronald Reagan International Trade Building. He can take you right to it. The lady working in the food prep area asked us "what kind of tour are you on?" she then kindly showed us what floor to get off the elevator on. We came out a back door and when we walked a block we met a lady who gave us tickets to get into the White House. They open it up 2 times a year for public tours and we just happened to be "lost" in the right spot at the right time. Mackenzie stood where the President stands to get in his limo and more important to her where his dogs have ran around to play. Chris and Mackenzie then planted flowers at the White House.
3 comments:
Chris,
I named my tiger I got in Washington DC. His name is Chris. Now all I need is a white squirrel. My jacket is lucky. How is my plant? My mom was right Washington DC isn't a state. I learned that this week in school.
Mackenzie,
What a tremendous tiger, I bet he is the best tiger in the world!!!! What a great name for a tiger, if I find a "bald" squirrel I will name her Mackenzie in your honor. My Army jacket is still luckier. My plant is in the lead, but it is close!!!!
The picture is me when I was in Iraq, I am sitting in Saddam Hussein's chair!
Post a Comment